What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Sunday, April 22, 2012

MSM Simply Not Interested In Women and Their Progress

Cynthia Ruccia




I need to whine a little bit, and darn it----I HATE whining!!! Normally, I'm more of a "let's figure it out and move forward" kind of person, but I'm stuck in a place right now and I haven't figured out how to proceed yet.

Here's the deal-----and I'm sure some of you are sitting there saying "DUH!!!!" But I'm a bit of a Pollyanna, and I like to believe that people are generally good and that I can appeal to that side of them. Humph!!!! That's not happening right now!!!!

Well, I've had this idea that I've been writing about over the last several months that we are going to have to make a stink and an uproar if we are going to convince anyone that they should nominate a female VP. My thinking is that the Republican nominee would generally benefit in every conceivable way if he were to choose a woman to be on the ticket with him. There is really a trove of very very talented women on the Republican side that would make terrific VPs (HBO's VEEP notwithstanding----but that's another story/headache) starting with former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, Republican Conference Vice Chair Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rogers, Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico, Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina, and the list goes on and on.



Now that there is a presumptive nominee on the Republican side, the rumor mill is working overtime in the media contemplating what type of VP would benefit Mitt Romney the most. Hispanic or swing state person? Chris Christie? Sober types like our own Ohio Senator Rob Portman or former Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels. Some of the women are even mentioned from time to time. You even hear at times that the rank and file Republicans put Condi Rice at the top of their lists.

So I decided that it was time to speak up about the importance of putting a woman on the ticket, specifically that idea. I've written alot about the problems that women face right now being considered for the ticket, the main one being the "Palin effect."  Funny that. Almost always in every conceivable media mention of women on the ticket it is mentioned about how difficult it would be to nominate a woman because of what happened to Sarah Palin in 2008. And no one EVER puts up an argument to rebut this ridiculous idea. Whatever happened to Sarah Palin in 2008 won't likely happen again in 2012 because we have learned and we will be better prepared. It just burns me up that whenever a man screws up or isn't successful at something no one EVER says that we can't nominate another man because it didn't work out with the last one. It is just so BLINDLY sexist.

But I am getting ahead of myself. I have retained a number of media contacts both in print and on TV and cable on all sides of the political spectrum.  As you know, I had my run on all of the shows in 2008 for a few months as we protested the treatment of Hillary Clinton. I was at both conventions and on TV alot. I didn't do it to get on TV so I could glorify myself. I'm not a press hog. To be honest, I'm always a little uncomfortable being put in that situation. But sometimes I'm willing to stand up before others do, so I find my face on camera at times.

I decided to contact my sources, the media bookers that I know, and I discussed my idea with them that they haven't had anyone on to promote the idea of a female VP blah blah blah. I was told GREAT---let's do it, just call back while I run the idea by our principle who really likes you and  who I'm sure will be happy to have you on. Well guess what happened?????  Total silence and stonewalling. Total.

I also wrote up an op-ed piece with a great friend of mine who specializes in this sort of thing, wants to help, but needs to stay in the background. She always makes my writing so much better, tighter, and more provocative keeping the piece within the correct number of words needed for a submission of this type. It is a GREAT piece which outlines how vulnerable and soft the female support for Obama is and how Romney could really capitalize on this by nominating a woman VP. It was a beautifully argued piece if I do say so myself. I contacted my media sources once again. And once again TOTAL SILENCE and stonewalling. If we don't ever get the thing published, I'll put it up on the blog. But I'm far from giving up.

I've read through Anita Finlay's book "Dirty Words on Clean Skin" and in it she talks in a very interesting way about this media blindness phenomenon when it comes to women's advancement. The media just doesn't see how their actions and memes keep women from breaking through the various glass ceilings. And while all of you say "duh----of course it's there," I am defiant enough to want to ignore it and plow my way over, under, around, or through it. There must be a way. I'm just sitting here trying to figure out how to get the word out that there ARE women out here who want to see a woman nominated for VP  in 2012. And I think that there are lots and lots of them----men too!! We have four and a half months until the conventions and I believe that anything can happen between now and then for this cause of a woman VP.

But I never ever want it to be said that a woman wasn't nominated because there was never any indication that women wanted a woman VP. How can we get the word out there if no one is willing to help us get the word out? Right now it's a catch-22-----damned if we do and damned if we don't. Reminds me of Sarah Palin being criticized for working and not staying at home with her 5 kids, and Ann Romney being criticized for not working and staying at home with her 5 kids. Uh----please decide which one it is----ok?  You can't have both at the same time!!!! It's the bind we find ourselves in.

So I'm just simmering over here in Columbus, OH trying to figure out what my next move is. I'm NOT giving up until the Convention has passed. That gives us around 140 days to find the way forward. And don't forget that if the Republicans put up a woman for VP-----what might the Democrats do in return??So I'm whining tonight and maybe even tomorrow. But we've only just started to try to break through with this message. Got to find a way to thread this needle. Time's a wasting.........

19 comments:

  1. sick of the LSM. This is not news! But you're right, we've got to get the word out about the woman VP. Nikki Haley is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and much-appreciated rant, Cynthia! Thank you for your vigilance and inspiration.
    I'm continuing to "whine" to all who will listen to me.
    This state of affairs has GOT to change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen the MichiganderApril 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM

    The msm isn't interested in a female GOP veep because they don't want to give the Romney campaign any ideas that might help him win against their precious. As an unofficial hunter-gatherer of articles for the pro-Hillary movement, I can assure you there is plenty of media interest in Hillary replacing Biden on the Dem ticket. There are also a lot of Hillary 2016 articles floating around. In neither case do I think the msm is interested in promoting Hillary. They're simply ringing some bells hoping it will make us salivate like Pavlov's dogs and vote for Obama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't seen much about replacing Biden w/Hillary lately. Wish it would happen, but figure it won't. However, if Romney puts a woman in HIS ticket, all bets are off. Wouldn't it be amazing if both tickets had women VPs??

      Do you think that the media is still blindly in love with "precious" as you call him?

      Delete
  4. Maybe forming a group, and taking a trip, like on a bus with a banner on it and women's faces that you think are good candidates--and go on a road trip and have something catchy that the media is going to want to cover, something--a lecture a presentation, public rallies that that are by women (bipartisan) for women that inspires women to vote for women...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're trying to get a buzz going on facebook about a woman vp. Maybe if we get enough excitement generated, the media will get interested. Sometimes it seems they get their news from fb and twitter! ;-) Please "like" us and "like" or comment on all of our posts. This will help the notion spread!

    https://www.facebook.com/WomanVp2012

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you will have to go past the media. Spread the idea through the internet because Corporate Media doesn't care about women and girls stepping out of the narrow boundaries they have defined for us. Their advertisers (enablers) also don't care. Probably because most of corporate media originates on the East Coast which is the most backward part of the country as far as women are concerned.

    Also look past the current election cycle. There is a huge change in cultural mindset that needs to take place like when smoking became uncool and with the media being against this happening it isn't going to be a fast change. I see the girls I know from 10 to 25 checking out cute puppy sites daily for a psychological lift. So start some simple App or website for a daily heartwarming hit and put subtle woman positive messaging on it. Of course if you take advertising (and you almost have to)you will have to police it with an iron fist. After all you know the offensive type of advertising that shows up on any and every information venue aimed at women. Somehow the media can grasp the idea of the gestalt of the male viewing experience but they can't grasp the idea of the gestalt of the female viewing experience so while they make special ads designed to integrate with the mood for male viewing venues they always make the ads on women's venues offensive and by doing that give the female viewers negative rewards for tuning in. It's like aversion therapy for women's venues. But the corporate Media are clearly invested in continuing to doing the SOS when it comes to images of women so you need to ignore them and go elsewhere. The good news is as long as they stick to their formula they are not formidable competition for they eyes of women and girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some really great ideas Bes and a different vision altogether.......

      Delete
  7. I think you have figured out the problems. Too many people are satisfied with 0. And too many people like women to stay in whatever place they think they belong. We'll just have to keep complaining! Never give up. Never give in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why not draft Gov. Palin again? The media access problem would go away immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Joshua!!!! Hope all is well with you. I see that time has only improved your sense of humor.......

      Delete
    2. Ross Perot took one twelfth of the national vote on his second run in 1996 (nearly three times as many as Nader in 2000), and thanks to his strong press coverage the glass ceiling for lunatic billionaires has permanently cracked -- we now have one heading a major ticket. If women must get noticed before women can win, and getting noticed is the obstacle you're describing here, then get noticed!

      Eugene V. Debs got almost a million votes in 1920, from prison, on his fifth and most successful time at bat. Guest commentator on Fox is not a conventional springboard, but it's louder than prison, and these are not conventional times. I am in utter earnest that a repeat Palin nomination would bring the subject of female leadership into riveting national focus, and keep it there through November, to a degree that no electable choice could match.

      All well here, and keeping very busy. Time flies, and Rachel is off to Brandeis in the fall.

      Delete
    3. Or, looking at it from the other end, VP Condi Rice solves nothing. The Stanford vote is already onboard with a woman in the White House, or banging the House gavel, or speaking with a wise Latina voice from the bench, or heading IBM or Harvard. If there is still incremental progress to be made on this issue (and I think there is) it will necessarily come from just exactly the people who would vote for Gov. Palin a second time. It's not enough to say "any woman, left or right" if the real divide is along a different axis. What's needed is a candidate who can unite Sarah Palin fans and Tina Fey fans. We are one America.

      Delete
    4. Ah, there it comes...the desire for the woman to be the perfect candidate. :-)

      Delete
    5. Well, since I'm arguing that the perfect candidate is also the easiest to draft, why would I wish for less?

      Delete
    6. I agree with your insight. If this was a business, and the candidates were products, then you'd do some market research. Get a group of people that love Tina Fey and hate Sarah Palin together with a group of people that love Sarah and hate Tina...? wait anybody hate Tina? hehe (well I resented her for making fun of Sarah and being responsible for making it easier for liberal women to jump on the ridicule Sarah bandwagon)

      Then without telling them what party a list of candidates belong to, maybe keep their name AND gender hidden, ask them to choose which of these people they would vote for as a VP or P, based on the candidates previous record about a variety of issues...and then try to find the candidate that had support from both groups...

      Delete
  9. Why aim for just a female VP when there already IS a female Presidential candidate? The Republicans and Democrats have both let women down. The two party system is corporate property. Vote Jill Stein! Green Party!

    ReplyDelete